10 May 2007

A conscience is a terrible thing.

As many of you know one of my joys here in Asia has always been the shopping. In fact it hasn't only been my joy, but also that of the many recipients of the importing of handbags to NZ when I fly home. This week a terrible thing has happened - my conscience has got in the way. Now I have always known that I was ripping off big movie producers (fake dvds) and fashion houses (fake handbags - sorry original copy handbags) but that thought never moved me to tears. However I have just read an article in Harper's Bazaar that talks about the use of child labour in the production of fake handbags, and the links between fakes and drug cartels. So it is bye, bye to cheap handbags, dvds and sunglasses - a sacrifice I am willing to make, but still sometimes your conscience really messes with shopping fun! Luckily there are lots of amazing bargains that aren't fakes - the credit card isn't safe yet.

No comments: