19 November 2006

New Friends/Old Friends

I got an email from one of my oldest friends who has recently headed off to do the expat thing with her family. She was talking about how good it was to hear from old friends when there aren't many of them around. I was already in a bit of a home sick funk (it doesn't happen often, but I have discovered that one often appears just before a planned trip home), and I was pondering this and thinking about all my old friends I really don't get to see enough or have lost touch with.

However last night I got a little reality check, and was reminded that while my old friends aren't so close I do have some pretty great new friends. Sitting chatting over frozen margaritas with some of the girls last night I re-realised what a great group of people I have made friends with here. None of the people around the table are people I think that I would have been likely to get to know well at home, but they are great friends that make my life richer. Age and experiences seem to become less important when you are away from home, perhaps you see the true person a little more. I guess along with broadening geographical boundaries, my friendship boundaries have also been broadened.

Needless to say today the home sickness has passed, not that I aren't itching to get home and see my old friends and family. I was just reminded that I have my own 'family' here made up of some pretty amazing friends.

No comments: