25 November 2006

Special Needs in Hong Kong

I'm currently sitting in a conference in Hong Kong, listening to a lovely Chinese gentleman talking about the special needs network in Hong Kong local schools, interesting - but not enough to keep my attention after 3 days of sitting in a conference. I've been attending the Special Education Network in Asia conference since Thursday, which has been informative on the whole - if only to realise how pitiful my departments funding is compared to some other schools around. It has also been great to network with with other special needs teachers, and have little bitching sessions about how under appreciated we are, how hard our job is... Oh poor me, seemed to be the catchphrase. Although I must admit compared to people working as the only special needs teacher K-12 in a school in the middle of nowhere China I have things pretty good. However I do have ideas, so ISKL needs to watch out when I get back!

I have had a chance in the evenings to see some of the bright lights of Hong Kong (I'll add the photos when I have the download leads with me), and eat some amazing Chinese seafood. Loving the lobster, prawns and squid! Tonight I'm also hoping to get to see the rugby as the Malaysian sports channels are so addicted to the EPL that they don't show the All Blacks. Heathens!

Unfortunately the Sunday sessions of the conference have been cancelled so in a few hours time I will have a day and a half to explore Hong Kong at my leisure - catching up with a few of my friends who live here and hitting the markets. Tomorrow I'm going to cross the border to Shenzhen in China and do some shopping at the big 'knock-off' market there. It seems amazing to me that it is now possible to get a visa on entry to China and go there for a days shopping. However I am more than happy to try it out and get a little Christmas shopping done while I'm at it.

No comments: