8 December 2006

Monkey Madness

I have just finished having one of the more enlightening conversations of my week while lying on my couch not uttering a word. Bob, as I think of him, the rather large macaque monkey that roams the balconies of Menara Indah (my apartment block - literally beautiful place, but a little hopeful in reality) decided to take some interest in me. I don't normally encourage large macaque monkeys to take too much interest, due in large to the fact that they can be quite temperamental, have sharp teeth and carry all sorts of diseases like rabies. However, as I was safely shut behind glass I decided to play along. What followed was an entertaining, on both sides I think, exchange of mimicry and amusement. I don't actually know who was more easily entertained, myself or Bob. But I was really entertained by just how similar they are to us, or should that be how similar we are to them?
In all serious though it was one of those little reminders about how much I do like living in somewhere as 'exotic' as Malaysia. It was probably a timely reminder as I had spent the last two hours in a frustrating mission to the bank to collect my credit card - don't even get me started on why they can't just send it, followed by being stuck in a horrendous traffic jam caused by two bus drivers arguing over who had clipped the other whilst blocking three lanes of a busy thoroughfare. Malaysia at its finest! But then in NZ, or many other places for that fact I wouldn't have the opportunity for a Friday night conversation with Bob. I guess it is always a little give and take.
Only a week left till Christmas vacation! Not that I'm counting down.

No comments: